Inform police, Ismail tells those seeking to return to KL

Estimate Reading Time: 2 minutes

PUTRAJAYA: Senior minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob says those who wish to return to their home towns or Kuala Lumpur should inform the police beginning April 25.

-Advertisement-

At a press conference here, he said those with access to the internet could do so through the GerakMalaysia application.

“List down names and how many want to return to KL and from which home town,” he said.

“This way we will know which area you are from and if it is a red zone.”

He added that those who are unable to do so online could go to the nearest police station.

However, he advised them to call for an appointment to avoid long queues at the station.

He also said the plans were still at the preliminary stage, adding that a decision would be made on May 1.

“There is no guarantee,” he said. “We are still waiting for reports for April 25 so that we can release an SOP.”

He added that both pros and cons would be weighed alongside advice from the health ministry before a decision is made.

Ismail said the government understood that many had rushed back to their home towns before the movement control order (MCO).

“I understand some are concerned about issues such as break-ins at their homes, and they want to get to their work place.”

-Advertisement-

However, he said it would be easier to allow students from public and private colleges to return as the government was already aware of their numbers and health status.

“But those in the kampungs, they are everywhere and we do not know their numbers.

“If they are allowed to return, we need to know the numbers,” he added.

He also assured of enough food during the fasting month and advised those needing to buy groceries to plan their trips to the market ahead of time and practise social distancing.

He said 835 roadblocks were held yesterday with 609,411 checked. He added that 865 were detained for breaching the MCO with 723 remanded and 133 out on bail.

So far, police have detained 17,735 people for breaching the MCO with 1,236 charged in court.

On fake news, he said the Communications and Multimedia Commission and police have opened 237 investigation papers, of which 169 are still under probe with 24 individuals charged in court.

The government meanwhile has opened 196 quarantine centres with 16,154 people undergoing mandatory quarantine.

Yesterday, 738 Malaysians returned home and are currently under quarantine.

On Malaysians in Singapore who wish to return home, he said Human Resources Minister M Saravanan would discuss the issue with his Singapore counterpart to see how they can return in stages.

The country has recorded 92 deaths and 5,482 cases of Covid-19 so far. – FMT

Share this Article
  • 1
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    1
    Share