Covid-19: Special taskforce in Sabah to monitor election sites as cases spike

Estimate Reading Time: 2 minutes

PETALING JAYA: A special taskforce will be set up in Sabah to monitor election campaign sites in view of the growing number of Covid-19 cases in the state, says Senior Minister (Security) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

-Advertisement-

He said even though monitoring activities were in place, the authorities needed to further tighten control to reduce the risk of Covid-19 transmission in the run-up to state polls on Sept 26.

Additional measures had to be taken in view of the Benteng cluster in Lahad Datu and the Laut cluster in Tawau, he added.

“Up to Sept 14, the Health Ministry has screened 3,981 individuals in Tawau and 1,421 in Lahad Datu,” he said.

So far Tawau has recorded 331 positive cases, and Lahad Datu 89 cases.

However, the authorities have yet to make any decision on imposing lockdown measures in Lahad Datu and Tawau, as the situation was still under control, said Ismail.

“The Health Ministry has identified 14 locations linked to the Benteng and Laut clusters.

-Advertisement-

“It includes Mukim Sri Tanjung (seven locations), Mukim Wallace Bay (one location), and Mukim Merotai (six locations).

“Some 25,000 individuals will be screened in Tawau and 13,000 in Lahad Datu,” he added.

A prison block in Tawau and a community hall in Lahad Datu will be used as quarantine centres for low-risk individuals under surveillance, said Ismail in his regular briefing on the pandemic.

“Those confirmed positive will be warded at treatment centres,” he added.

Ismail advised the public to avoid crowded areas, wear masks and observe social distancing.

He also dismissed as fake news claims that a curfew would be imposed in Tawau from 6pm and 6am.

“Claims that a 14-day quarantine order would be imposed on those returning from Sabah are also false. There are too many fake news stories being spread, triggering panic,” he said. -The Star

Share this Article
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •