KUANTAN, Oct 23 — The Kuala Tahan National Park, situated about 200 kilometres from here, is back in operation today, after it was closed to the public on Oct 6 as a precautionary measure following spike in COVID-19 cases.
State Tourism, Environment, Plantations and Biotechnology Committee chairman Datuk Seri Mohd Sharkar Shamsudin said the Department of Wildlife and National Parks (Perhilitan) informed him on the decision Thursday night.
Mohd Sharkar said this was a right decision as Pahang has not been imposed the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) as in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya.
“The state government is grateful to those who had decided on the move as we are trying hard to revive the tourism sector in order to help resort operators and tour guides.
“They had been badly hit following the MCO and were just starting to get on their feet again when the closure order was issued. So now people who have already made early bookings are able to enjoy their trip as planned,” he said when contacted here today.
It is reported that there are 170 tour guides, 38 lodging operators and 17 travel agencies involved at the National Park in addition to the 78 boat operators in Sungai Tahan and 30 others at Sungai Tembeling who ferry tourists to the recreation centre.
Meanwhile, Kuala Tahan Village Development and Welfare Committee chairman Abdul Jalil Abd Rahman said the villagers were relieved to learn the memorandum to withdraw the closure order which was submitted on Oct 19 was considered by the state and federal governments.
“We have to make full use of the remaining days to attract visitors as we may not be able to operate in mid-November due to the monsoon. It is going to be difficult as many have already cancelled their bookings,” he added. – BERNAMA