‘Man charged Chinese visitor RM18k’
KUALA LUMPUR: Graft busters are tracking down an individual who is believed to have an acted as an agent or middleman to a Chinese woman whose entry into Malaysia via Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) last month caused a ruckus.
Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki (pic) said the individual is believed to be a foreigner.
“Initial investigations revealed that the individual received RM18,000 to bring in the Chinese national through KLIA, and he is not a Malaysian citizen.
“We have already identified the individual and we are tracking him down,” he said when contacted, adding that the MACC was still attempting to ascertain whether the individual was still in the country.
“We obtained the information on the individual based on our initial investigation (into the matter).
“Give us space to investigate the matter thoroughly,” he added.
On June 29, Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Tiong King Sing caused a stir after he confronted Immigration Department officers at KLIA for detaining a female employee of a China-based media company.
Tiong said he was coming to the rescue of the employee after she was barred from entering Malaysia.
He alleged then that she was being pressured into paying several thousand ringgit in order to enter Malaysia.
The incident led to calls for the department to be investigated over alleged corruption at KLIA.
Besides the MACC, the police are also investigating the matter.
Last Wednesday, Azam said that the statements of 14 individuals had been recorded so far, including that of two Chinese nationals, Tiong, eight Immigration Department officers and several other witnesses.
On Saturday, he also urged the media not to sensationalise the allegations of corruption taking place at the country’s entry points.
Azam made the comment in reference to a news portal’s report claiming that the MACC had found no elements of bribery in its investigation.
“It’s too early to conclude the case, it is the sixth day of investigation.
“There are still witnesses to be called, so we advise the media not to sensationalise the issue by quoting unidentified sources.
“We want a thorough investigation and once completed, we will refer it to the public prosecutor or the Attorney General.
“Then it can be determined if there was an element of bribery or not,” he said.
He added that the MACC would also investigate those involved in handling foreigners issued with Not to Land (NTL) notices.
– The Star