SUNGAI SIPUT: The Perak government has confirmed that the road concessionaire maintenance project was awarded to a company without an open tender.
Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu (pic) said several proposals were brought to the state government and that the state executive councillors unanimously picked the company that they trust could carry out the job.
“This is a niche job, so the company must be able to specifically complete the work as required by the state government.
“When I first became the Mentri Besar, one of the main problems that needed to be addressed was the maintenance of roads by councils, districts and municipalities, ” he told reporters after launching of the state-level World Sight Day at the Sungai Siput Hospital here on Friday (Oct 18).
On Wednesday, Lumut Bersatu member Syed Razif Syed Rabii claimed that the maintenance contract under the Malaysian Road Records Information System (Marris) was awarded to the company after a financial briefing held on Sept 8 in Genting Highlands.
Ahmad Faizal clarified that the project did not cost RM1.15bil.
“How can the maintenance of such roads cost billions of ringgit? They must get their facts right. I am confident that what the state government did is in the best interest of the people, and we are constantly trying to improve our services, ” he said.
Ahmad Faizal said opportunities should be given to new companies unlike previously where only a handful of contractors were awarded contracts.
“With the concessionaire in place, we have found a method on how to divide the job to smaller contractors as well.
“So it is pointless to focus on just one or two people, making allegations towards the state government. We should give more focus to the benefits for the people at large, ” he said.- The Star