KUALA LUMPUR: Covid-19 National Immunisation Programme (NIP) coordinating minister Khairy Jamaluddin confirmed police found no evidence so far to relate the alleged “empty syringe” cases with fraudulent vaccine sales.
“Out of more than 16 million cumulative doses, there have only been 13 police reports on empty syringes so far.
“Most of the reports have also been proven false or inconclusive.
“So, I think for people to make the conclusion that our frontliners are somehow involved in a syndicate is untrue.
“I have discussed this matter with the police and they said there is no link between alleged empty shots and vaccine sales to date,” he said in a joint virtual press conference with Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Adham Baba today.
On the “empty syringe” issue, Khairy said only one such incident had been proven so far at the Lapangan Terbang Sungai Petani drive-through vaccination centre (PPV) on July 17.
He said the nurse admitted she was negligent due to fatigue and she would face disciplinary action from the Health Ministry.
Meanwhile, he said, another two individuals, in Banting and the Malaysia International Trade and Exhibition Centre (Mitec) respectively, were given additional doses because healthcare workers were unsure whether the recipients had received complete doses or not.
Earlier today, Criminal Investigations Department (CID) director Datuk Seri Abd Jalil Hassan said police have launched investigation into 13 reports related to individuals getting vaccinated with “empty syringes”.-NST