IPOH: State executive council member Paul Yong Choo Kiong (pic) has resumed his official duties, despite stating in August that he was taking leave to concentrate on the rape case against him.
In a WhatsApp message to the media, Yong said following a discussion with Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu, it had been agreed that he would resume his duties.
“All my administrative duties will go on as usual, ” he said.
The media had been caught by surprise on the first day of the state assembly sitting on Friday (Nov 15), when Yong started to reply to written questions under his portfolio.
He took the question by Leong Cheok Keng (DAP-Malim Nawar) on the efforts taken by the state government to overcome the issue of unsold houses in Perak.
Prior to this latest turn of events, it was reported on Aug 27 that Ahmad would take over the portfolios under Yong, while he took from leave from his official duties.
Ahmad had said at that time, he agreed with the move by Yong to go on leave to focus on his trial.
On Aug 23 this year, Yong pleaded not guilty to a charge of raping a maid at a house in Meru Desa Park between 8.15pm and 9.15pm on July 7.
Yong’s rape trial has yet to start because on Wednesday (Nov 13), an application was filed for the case to be heard in the High Court instead of the Sessions Court.
Later during a press conference, Speaker Datuk Ngeh Koo Ham said it was for the state government to decide on who would speak on an exco member’s behalf during a sitting.
“I don’t get involved in that matter.
“According to the law, he (Yong) is still the assemblyman for Tronoh, and an exco member, ” he added. -The Star