88% of Malaysia’s adult population fully vaccinated against Covid-19 as at Oct 4

Estimate Reading Time: 2 minutes

KUALA LUMPUR (Oct 5): A total of 20,717,373 people or 88% of Malaysia’s adult population had been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 as of Monday (Oct 4).

-Advertisement-

According to the country’s Special Committee for Ensuring Access to Covid-19 Vaccine Supply (JKJAV) Twitter page, citing data from the Covid-19 Immunisation Task Force (CITF), they were among a total of 23,961,163 individuals or 94.4% of the country’s adult population who had gotten at least the first vaccine shot.

Daily doses administered rose to 221,812 from 206,574 the day before, with 126,433 shots going to first dose-recipients, while 95,379 were second jabs.

Meanwhile, the seven-day moving average of daily doses dispensed dropped to 267,813 from a peak of 528,033 in early August.

Johor recorded the highest number of first doses given on Monday at 20,192, followed by Selangor (19,216) and Perak (14,585).

Johor also led the nation for second doses with 18,813 shots, followed by Perak (17,295) and Sabah (13,559).

-Advertisement-

Within the Klang Valley, 7,400,895 persons or 87.9% of its total population had received at least one vaccine dose so far, including 6,890,451 or 81.8% who had been fully vaccinated.

The country confirmed 8,075 new Covid-19 cases on Monday, the second day in a row daily infections stayed below the 10,000 mark. The daily figure was 10.93% lower than the 9,066 infections recorded on Sunday (Oct 3).

A total of 7,915 or 98% of the new cases had no symptoms (Category 1) or only mild symptoms (Category 2), while the remaining 160 cases or 2% were in Category 3 (patients with pneumonia), Category 4 (patients with pneumonia requiring oxygen therapy) or Category 5 (critical patients requiring assisted ventilation).

Another 76 deaths related to Covid-19 were reported on Monday, below the 100 mark for the first time in nearly three months. This is the lowest daily figure since July 9, when the country saw 77 fatalities.

According to the Ministry of Health (MoH), 68% of the Covid-19-linked deaths in the country were detected from unvaccinated individuals, followed by 23.1% from partially vaccinated individuals, while only 8.9% were fully vaccinated individuals.-The Edge Market