Doctor badly burnt as gas cylinder explodes at home

Estimate Reading Time: < 1 minute

GEORGE TOWN: A specialist doctor here is fighting for his life in hospital after he suffered 95% burns all over his body when a gas cylinder exploded at his Solok Jesselton home on Tuesday.

-Advertisement-

In the 5.30am incident, Dr Seow Eng Lok, 53, had come down to check his stove when he suspected a gas leak. The wife told policemen that when her husband tried to check if the knobs were closed, an explosion took place.

Northeast district police chief Soffian Santong said fire investigators later found that a gas hose connected to a cylinder placed outdoors had a leak.

He said the victim was brought to the Island Hospital to be treated and was currently in intensive care, he told FMT. He ruled out any foul play.

-Advertisement-

A fire department spokesman said the blast left 40% of the doctor’s home damaged in the incident.

It was learnt that an urgent surgery for Seow will take place tomorrow, with the family pleading to those with A+ or O+ blood type to come forward to donate at the hospital. Those interested can phone 04-238-3388 ext 5548.-FMT