PETALING JAYA: Putrajaya did not get the Yang di-Pertuan Agong’s consent to revoke the emergency ordinances when law minister Takiyuddin Hassan announced the revocation on Monday, Istana Negara said.
“The King stresses that the minister’s statement in Parliament on July 26 is inaccurate and misled the members of the Dewan Rakyat,” said Comptroller of the Royal Household Ahmad Fadil Shamsuddin in a statement today.
Fadil said Articles 150(2B) and 150(3) of the Federal Constitution clearly gave the authority for the enactment and revocation of ordinances to the King.
He said the King was aggrieved by Takiyuddin’s statement on Monday since he had yet to consent to the revocation.
What the King told Takiyuddin and Attorney-General Idrus Harun during a virtual audience, he said, was that the revocation of ordinances should be tabled and debated in Parliament.
Fadil said the King stressed that the government’s actions had also failed to respect the rule of law and went against the Agong’s functions and powers as the head of state, as enshrined in the constitution.
“The King believes that, as the head of state, it is compulsory for His Majesty to advise or reprimand any parties whose actions are unconstitutional,” he said.
On Monday, Takiyuddin had told the Dewan Rakyat that all the emergency ordinances had been revoked as of July 21 because the government decided to cancel them under Article 153 of the Federal Constitution.
He had dismissed questions on the matter over the past few days in Parliament, – with many asking if the King had given his consent. Takiyuddin said he would address them all next Monday.
Lawyer Bastian Pius Vendargon had said the Cabinet could not unilaterally revoke the ordinances, with gazette notification an important part of legal procedure.
“If the King has not come into play in this instance and there is no gazettement, then the ordinances can’t have been revoked,” he told FMT.-FMT