SEREMBAN: Incumbent Ampangan assemblyman Datuk Dr Mohamad Rafie Ab Malek claims he has not been nominated to defend the seat as a certain individual felt threatened by him.
In a statement Tuesday (July 25), the former state investment, industrialisation, education and entrepreneurship committee chairman from PKR claimed the particular individual and his friends at the federal level had been working hard to ensure that he was dropped.
Mohamad Rafie said he was shocked when he learnt that he was not being re-nominated.
He said his constituents could vouch that he had worked hard to help them as well as to help develop the state.
Citing examples, he said it was during his tenure that a four-story modern market was built to replace the old market as well as a three-storey community complex to replace the old Penghulu Hall.
Other projects were the Ampangan Square and the Ampangan pedestrian bridge.
Mohamad Rafie said he was also known for his high integrity and had never been involved in power abuse, corruption, nepotism or cronyism.
PKR will be fielding the party’s Seremban Wanita chief Tengku Zamrah Tengku Sulaiman for the Ampangan seat in the Aug 12 polls.
A group of individuals had also held a peaceful protest asking that Mohamad Rafie be retained at a Pakatan Harapan event on Sunday (July 23).
Apart from Mohamad Rafie, PKR had also dropped former Sri Tanjung assemblyman Datuk M. Ravi and Chuah’s Datuk Michael Yek.
All three had been critical of state PKR chief Datuk Seri Aminuddin Harun’s leadership previously which eventually required Anwar’s intervention.
Also dropped was Pilah assemblyman Datuk Mohamad Nazaruddin Sabtu who had been down with a mysterious illness for some time.
– The Star