The 1975 left country even before report lodged against them, says Deputy IGP

Estimate Reading Time: 2 minutes

KUALA LUMPUR: British band The 1975 had already left the country long before the initial report was lodged against them, says the Deputy Inspector-General of Police.


When met at Bukit Aman on Tuesday (July 25), after a sending off ceremony for police athletes, Datuk Seri Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay addressed claims of police inaction to catch the band members after the incident, saying that the first report was lodged at 2pm on July 22, which was hours after the band had flown out of the country.

“There are those that question why the police did not act quickly. This incident occurred on July 21 at 11.30pm and we understand that the concert was stopped soon after.

“The band then left the country the very next morning at 5.30am so it was only six hours before they flew off.

“The report was made at 2pm so by the time it was made, we were already unable to take action because they had already left,” he said.

As of Tuesday, a total of 18 police reports have been lodged about the incident, with eight made in Selangor.

Thirteen statements have been recorded including from the organisers and Puspal.

“If there is any charging in the future, we will contact our counterparts in the United Kingdom,” he said, adding that they would also contact their counterparts for assistance in their investigations.


He added that only cases such as murder would compel the Interpol to issue Red Notices.

“I am confident that going forward, Puspal will be more careful,” he said.

He added that if future invited acts were found to be involved in controversy or if they did not mesh with the culture of the country, it would be best if they were not invited to perform here.

On Friday (July 21), band singer Matty Healy started ranting on stage about the country’s LGBTQ laws before locking lips with bassist Ross MacDonald at the Good Vibes Festival at the Sepang International Circuit.

Organisers pulled the plug on the band’s performance and the remaining two days of the music festival were cancelled by the Communications and Digital Ministry.

– The Star

Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/capitalp/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5373