PETALING JAYA: A total of 1,843 appeals involving the placement and transfer of medical officers have been checked and dealt with accordingly by the Health Ministry.
Its director-general Datuk Dr Muhammad Radzi Abu Hassan said the appeals were received following large-scale appointments of contract medical officers to permanent positions since last year.
“After examining the justification presented and taking into account the continuity of service as a whole and vacancy factor, appeals with solid justifications have been approved,” he said.
He, however, did not reveal the number of appeals accepted.
He said the appeals were checked and considered by the Appeals Committee comprising representatives from the divisions of Medicine Development, Family Health Development and Public Health Development with the Human Resources Division acted as the secretary.
Dr Muhammad Radzi said new placements had been made between June 9 and 24, to ensure smooth operations at health facilities in the country.
“The ministry appreciates all medical workers, as well as dental and pharmacy officers who have reported to their new places of duty on July 31, for putting the interest of national service first.
“Through this new deployment, officers will gain more exposure about the health system and will be able to increase their capability.
“This experience will make them more mature, empathetic and resilient in their career as a civil servant,” he added in a statement on Friday (Aug 4).
Dr Muhammad Radzi said large-scale appointments of contract medical officers to permanent positions had been implemented last year and this year.
The appointments took into account the 4,263 permanent job vacancies at health facilities nationwide, especially in Sabah, Sarawak, Johor and Pahang.
“Following this implementations, the ministry received a total of 1,843 appeals from medical officers to remain in their existing placement or transfer to other placements,” he added.
– The Star